Hey geeks! During the crazy, fun, ride that is San Diego Comic-Con I was given the opportunity to interview Sean Schemmel (Goku) for the upcoming release of Dragon Ball Super: Broly! Check out the amazing trailer!
While the interview probably should’ve been strictly about the movie, Schemmel dived into a wide range of topics that I was not expecting. Some of the topics included are:
- Schemmel‘s surprising audio-technical skills!
- What values and lessons he appreciates from the Dragon Ball series.
- Goku‘s gradual development or lack of development throughout the years.
- Self-growth and perseverance and how it seamlessly weaves into Dragon Ball.
- Disagreements with Chris Sabat (Vegeta) on the series and what it’s like working with him.
- Issues and obstacles deriving from translations between manga, Japanese subtitles, and English dubbed anime.
- Schemmel’s personal interpretation of Goku and how he feels he should properly portray him
- How much longer we could expect Schemmel‘s tenure as Goku.
Throughout all my years as a Dragon Ball fan, I have been severely underestimating just how passionate Schemmel is about playing Goku. It is evident he loves the character, but this interview allowed me to contextualize a bit more about what the character means to him. As someone who has been absorbed by Dragon Ball Z since before I could tie my own shoes – it was genuinely exciting to hear Schemmel spill all these wonderful details about the ultimate Z fighter!
Thank you to Sean Schemmel for making what is only my second interview super easy on me.
Dragon Ball Super: Broly will be coming to North America in January of 2019 and December 2018 in Japan!