Streaming giant, Netflix, is cutting ties with actor, Kevin Spacey amidst the latest Hollywood sexual harassment scandal. Fellow actor, Anthony Rapp, accused Spacey of sexual harassment back when Rapp was only 14 years old.
The actor who currently starts in the Netflix Original series, House of Cards will no longer be working on the show (which he also serves as executive producer on) and Netflix is said to be “evaluating” the series to determine its fate.
Spacey was also set to star in a Gore Vidal biopic, but that is also being scrapped by the streaming service.
In a statement released on Friday, a representative from Netflix said, “Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey. We will continue to work with MRC (Media Rights Capital) during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show. We have also decided we will not be moving forward with the release of the film Gore, which was in postproduction, starring and produced by Kevin Spacey.”
Soon after Netflix put out its statement, MRC released one of their own which said, “While we continue the ongoing investigation into the serious allegations concerning Kevin Spacey’s behavior on the set of House of Cards, he has been suspended, effective immediately. MRC, in partnership with Netflix, will continue to evaluate a creative path forward for the program during the hiatus.”
Spacey is the latest member of Hollywood plagued with sexual harassment accusations, following the allegations against Brett Ratner and Harvey Weinstein last month.
Source: The Hollywood Reporter