Ron Howard Reshot Nearly All of ‘Solo’ Film

A new report has said that Director Ron Howard reshot almost the entirety of Solo: A Star Wars Story, costing about double the film’s budget. Previous original directors, Phil Lord and Chris Miller, were unexpectedly dropped from the project over the summer, after four months of filming. Howard was brought on shortly after to oversee the film to the finish. Howard joined the crew back in June, and has just recently wrapped production, seven months until Solo hits theaters.

Since Howard’s arrival on-set, he’s provided fans with insight into the production, sharing images on social media to soften the negative press. As the filming went on, it became prevalent that Howard was not continuing the work that Lord and Miller initiated, dissolving any argument over director’s credits on the project.

On the most recent episode of Star Wars News Net’s The Resistance Broadcast, it was revealed that Howard reshot “nearly all” of Solo, for about “twice the budget.” It is said that about 80% of the film was reshot, when there were only supposedly a few weeks left of principal photography after the departure of Lord and Miller. Their previous shots were considered “very usable” at the time, but ultimately Lucasfilm decided to keep them in the vault.

On one hand, we can be reassured that there won’t be any forced combining of the two visions. The whole thing would be more concise under a single director, rather than two contrasting styles. It would’ve been interesting to see Lord and Miller’s take on iconic plot points, such as Han meeting Chewie and winning the Millennium Falcon, since Howard has more of a traditional Hollywood approach behind the camera, being responsible for iconic films such as Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind.

The other big concern is the budget. We all know that Star Wars films do not come cheap, with The Force Awakens clocking in at $245 million and last year’s Rogue One at $200 million. Solo was most likely set in that price range, so it will be curious to see where the final budget ends up. An increased budget means more pressure to do well at the box office, where Solo is set up for some tough competition next summer.

After all the drama circling the highly-anticipated Han Solo origin film, do you think it will still prove successful next to its predecessors? Let us know your thoughts below!

Solo: A Star Wars Story is set to release May 25, 2018.

Source: ScreenRant

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s